Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fall Markets, What do you think??


Auguste Rodin's sculpture "The Thinker", My guess he is thinking about  Fall Market.
That's when it is hot as Hades here and I have to think about what I bring in the shop for FALL.

See the resemblance???????
It sounds sexy.  Going to market, whether in Paris, or Dallas or New York.....If you are working for a big company as a buyer,,, the pressure is on.....Last years figures, versus this years figures, and projected increases.......all come into consideration....  But, at the end of the day, you get the paycheck and benefits and your discount and you go home at night knowing that you met the company's criteria for buying to the best of your ability. 
It's fun spending someone elses money.
 What's worse is one criteria.....
When you have a shop of your own and you are spending YOUR OWN MONEY. 
 That scares the living daylights out of me....


So here with the AC cranked up I think about, "Hey will the Velvet Pumpkins still be hot?????"
 The answer is yes!!!!!!!!!!! I think.



How about the offerings from last year????? Did they cut the mustard?????  Should I have bought more of this and less of that????? Does the look of the shop matter when something else that seems inappropriate to me is selling like hotcakes in a big city??????? Yes.

How bout the sheep.???? People love them......I love them.  They will always be here.....
Unless our source drops them.  I think they won't......

I am thinking about cashmere...... And leather handbags, and gloves and caps......I am sweating.....

I am thinking about the new intros for the fabulous knitwear we carry....Yup, we'll have some... 
Do you think you know who comes with me when I go to market every time?????
YOU!!!!!!!  YOU are the buyer here, I always keep our customers and readers with me like a little angel on my shoulder.  The other side is the New INTRODUCTIONS that are cool or the TEMPTATION.
It is a delicate balance..... Give up something to get something else, or do you go with your gut instincts and roll the dice and hope your feeling about the fabulous thing you are buying for the shop will be appreciated by someone you have never met?
So, all you readers and bloggers, now you have influence you never imagined yould have.... and I am lucky,
 I have YOU.  I think.;)


16 comments:

  1. You had me at Rodin. Love your blog and have added you to my blog roll.
    Teresa
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. It is indeed quite a responsibility to buy for unknown clients. I believe you will make the right decisions buy what you yourself love

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maryanne,

    Great post and must be a hard one and I am sure you will buy what you love, and your customers will love too. Good luck
    I have the same shaped eyewear as you, are they Chanel?
    Many thanks for the kind words about my new look to my blog.

    Happy Thursday
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your fortitude in the ability to shop for the seasons ahead! I've tried to do this in my card making business but it's so difficult for me to make Christmas cards in July...still working on this.
    I love the velvet pumpkins...they're a keeper! And with your taste...whatever you choose, I know will be just right...can't wait to see it all (although I'm not quite ready for fall just yet).
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to the Atlanta market last January to help a friend. Wow, what an experience. I admire anyone who has this job. Looks like you are a master at this though. Good luck! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maryanne, your shop always looks great! You have that special eye and vision to know which direction to go when making your selections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rodin should have had a redheaded muse...you are snazzier than The Thinker plus you run a great shop. Can't wait till I get back there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain...such a balancing act. what sells for one , will not for another. We have sure found that to be true. Follow your gut. It has lead you to success so far. Hope all is well in your home. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maryanne, I loved that you shared your thoughts with us!! It has to be a juggling act and there is I am sure always so much you WANT to buy!

    You good taste and having a good sense of design directions have served you well!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Come and join my Giveaway from the Novica Artisans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for visiting my blog today. I'm sure filling the shop can be such a tough decision. Happy to be your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh..you make me smile. I adore that photo of you. Buying is a delicate balance and I've been on both ends too. Buying for your own business is terrifying. Screw up & you may not eat! I love to eat. You do such a marvelous job you & Robes. With your fabulous personalities in the mix, you can't loose. I just wish everyone of your followers could get the chance to personally meet you both. Stay cool my friends. Our A/C went out twice this week, not a good thing.

    Hugs xx Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Maryanne, your shop and your merchandise has been perfectly lovely, with an emphasis on "perfect", when I have visited you.I am sure it must be so difficult to choose, though, and to foresee what are the constants and what should you introduce as new. Keep the pumpkins and the knits for sure - I love those! Hope to get over to see you sometime this year. Meanwhile stay cool - we are starting to feel the water shortage in many ways and it is scary. xo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! I love this post. I have been there buying merchandise for my store and watching the numbers quickly add up. I think the most exciting part is when you go with your gut, and the store takes on a life of it's own.

    Thank you for taking us with you. Vie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh you know i get this... we roll the dice... all the time... and hope it pays off. would love to come see your store... i know i would love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could think ahead even a week would be terrific.

    but 6 months!!

    Bravo Maryanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do love Rodin's sculpures, no doubt. But in your post I love YOUR 'thinking-image'!!! (It's you? Yes?) So lovely, with a glint of humor and a great smile! Just beautiful!
    And I know what you mean about thinking/concerning what about next season. Having experience with preparing Antique fairs in advance.
    But - we just started summer - so, please enjoy! Autumn and winter and....will come for sure. Let get it out of our mind and live the day....not THINKING!
    Greetings from PĂ©rigord,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete